Does my residential project/remodel require a construction permit?

A Permit is required for most construction and/or repair projects. Permits are required for, but not limited to:

  • Projects that involve plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work
  • Project that involve structural changes (e.g. beams/columns/shearwalls/load bearing walls)
  • Residential Additions (increasing square footage of the home)
  • Alterations/remodels/repairs (e.g. Bathroom and Kitchen Remodels)
  • Accessory Structures (e.g. patios, decks)
  • Accessory Dwelling units
  • Adding/replacing HVAC, Water heaters or air conditioners 
  • Retaining walls (with surcharge or is taller than 4ft measure from bottom of footing to top of wall)
  • Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs

Please visit the Permit Center webpage for "Steps to Secure a Permit". 

For residential project submittal requirements  (required drawings, supporting documents) see the Permit Directory.

For how to obtain a permit please see Steps to Secure a Permit.

Show All Answers

1. Is my Address under the Town of Danville or the County of Contra Costa?
2. Does my residential project/remodel require a construction permit?
3. What are the current fees and charges for a permit?
4. How do I request an inspection on an issued building permit?
5. What is the process for submitting a project through online portal?
6. What are the current Building Codes and Design Criteria?
7. What outside agencies must I consider getting approvals or permits from and how do I contact them?
8. What is required to address special inspection requirements on building permits per Chapter 17 of the California Building Code?
9. What are the allowed hours for construction?
10. What do I use to submit my C&D Waste Management Report?
11. How do I contact the Contractor’s License Board?