Find The Fun in Danville
Happy Birthday Dr. seuss!
You are invited to join in the fun and festivities at the 14th Annual Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss Party! The event takes place on March 2, 2021, between 4:00 - 6:30 pm. This year, you can participate both virtually and around Downtown all for free! The party starts at the Town Green, moves across Downtown and into several of our park locations. Activities will include, story walks, Zoom readings,and much more!
For more information, call the Danville Community Center at (925) 314-3400.
eggstravaganza - bunny baskets & Photos
The Danville Community Center is proud to host an updated Eggstravaganza Celebration. This includes the essentials for hosting an egg hunt wrapped up in a take-home “Bunny Basket”. Each basket will contain treasure-filled eggs, egg-themed crafts, and other festive delights. Sign up for your time slot of choice from 10 am to 2 pm.
Additional socially distant festivities will be hosted on the Town Green. Bring your camera and take your little one's picture with the Spring Bunny. The event will take place rain or shine. No refunds will be given due to inclement weather. Pre-registration is required.
When: April 3, 2021
Time: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Where: Town Green - Danville Community Center
Cost: $10(R) $12(N)
kids' night out
Kids' night out - is back in town!
Need a night out? Let your kids spend the night in, with us! Come create arts & crafts, play games, and enjoy a movie! Trained recreation staff will provide all the fun, excitement, and supervision. Wear pj's and bring a pillow!
When: March 12 & 26, April 16 & 30, May 14 & 28
Where: Danville Community Center
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Cost: $25(N) $30(R)
Pre-registration is required. Sign up now!
Feldenkrais® Awareness Through Movement®
Join instructor, Naffie Fischbacher in this classroom application of the Feldenkrais Method® which uses gentle movement explorations to teach you to move with greater ease and efficiency. Regular students enjoy better posture, improved breathing and coordination, as well as increased flexibility and grace in action.
Check out our interview with instructor, Naffie Fischbaher and our student testimonials to learn more about Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement.
Virtual Class Sessions Begin:
- March 2 - April 6 Tuesdays @ 10:00am - Activity Code 26564
- March 4 - April 8 Thursdays @ 10:00am - Activity Code 26753
arts and rec on the Go
Did you know that the Town of Danville Recreation, Arts, and Community Services offers a free recreation program throughout the Town of Danville’s amazing parks for children ages 3-12 years old? This program has now been running for over 2 years and has been active in over seven different parks in Danville. The Town of Danville Mobile Recreation van will continue to visit neighborhood parks throughout the year and staff will provide all the materials and equipment for a couple of hours of fun. The Arts and Recreation activities will vary depending on the park and time of year.
The park sites and times are announced via Facebook and Instagram prior to the event a couple of days in advance. Some of the activities that have taken place during this program are frisbee golf, scavenger hunts, obstacle course, arts and crafts and much more. Arts & Rec on the Go is intended to be a spontaneous event for our neighborhood parks. Follow us on Facebook at townofdanvilleca and Instagram @danvilleparksca for upcoming dates and locations. The Town will hold monthly mobile recreation events throughout the year. For more information, contact the Danville Community Center at (925) 314-3400.
Want to know when the next Arts & Rec on the Go will take place? Sign up for Recreation - Mobile Rec Notifications now!
at home family cooking
Visit www.howtocook.recipes for easy and delicious home-cooked meals that will please the entire family. This website was recommended to us by a local Girl Scout, Liz Bass. While working on her "Simple Meals" badge, Liz found great cooking ideas from our very own "Find the Fun" page and www.howtocook.recipes. Thanks for the recommendation, Liz!
Enjoy these cooking videos from our new contract instructor, Carol Jeha, from Compassionate Cravings as she makes some delicious treats straight from the Shire.
comic book - recipe ideas
Carol Jeha, from Compassionate Cravings and Danville's new contract instructor, teaches you how to make two sweet comic book themed treats.
- Cool Runnings - Make Your Own Bobsleigh Craft
- Cool Runnings - Glowing Tealight Olympic Torch Craft
- Toy Story 4 - Forky Craft
- Toy Story 4 - Buzz Lightyear Floats Craft
- Captain America - Paper Plate Craft
- Captain America - Jello Treats Craft
- Moana - Heart of Te Fiti Rock craft
- Moana - I’m So Shiny Crab craft
- Coloring page activity book from our friends at the Crayon Initiative!
- Lanyards with Leah
- Kids’ Night In - Wreck-it-Ralph - A guide to creating a movie night for the whole family with links, crafts, foods and more!
- Colander Art
Chalk your Walk Challenge: Use chalk to decorate your sidewalk with encouraging words and designs!
One of our homegrown young adults, Nina Sandelin Umont, who grew up in Danville and went through Green Valley Elementary, Los Cerros Middle School, and Monte Vista High School, and is now living in Alamo wants to share her passion for calligraphy and give everyone a free copy of her self-help book ’Modern Calligraphy - everything you need to know’. While we have time at home and are looking for new things to do, go to The Sandelin Designs Guide to Modern Calligraphy digital book download https://www.sandelindesigns.com/learn-engraving/the-sandelin-designs-guide-to-modern-calligraphy-digital-download. She is making her calligraphy workbook available for free online, in an effort to help people have a creative outlet and an activity to do with their families. Please enjoy and thank you Nina!
- Tai Chi with Terence Tang: Tiger Mountain Tai Chi Gong
- Rosalyn Lee guides us through some Mat Pilates we can do from home: Mat Pilates All Levels
- Felicia Viera’s Pilates instructional videos: Mat Pilates
- Calling all line dance enthusiasts! Reggie Kwan, our Dancercise Instructor at the Danville Senior Center, has put together a YouTube channel of line dances with great music to follow along with! Check out his latest video - Just Let Me Dance - Line Dance Demo
- I Can Do That theatre video: We're All In This Together
- Free Spotify Playlist to Broadway Music
- Singing Lesson with Danville Theatre Program Assistant, Celine Ricci: Lesson 1
- The History of Opera with Danville Theatre Program Assistant, Celine Ricci: History of Opera
- An encouraging message from the combined choirs at San Ramon Valley High School: Give Us Hope - Spreading Hope Through Music
- Animal Themed Work Out For Kids
- Kids Workout - Orange Theory Fitness
- Movement with Coach Becky - Orange Theory Fitness
- Line Dance Instructional Videos from our instructors, Minnie and Joyce! Line Dance and Waltz Line Dance
- Get moving with Skyhawks Sports: Skyhawks Sports Facebook Live: www.facebook.com/skyhawkscontracosta
Bollywood with Kiran:
Yvonne is the Administrative Assistant at the Danville Senior Center and lucky for us, also a book and movie enthusiast! She will put together monthly reading and viewing recommendations to help bring everyone together while we social distance. Check back for updates each month.
Movie Selection for the month:
our friend - (2019) (drama) - 2 hrs. 4 min.
After receiving life-altering news, a couple finds unexpected support from their best
friend, who puts his own life on hold and moves into their family home, bringing an
impact much greater and more profound than anyone could have imagined.
Starring: Jason Segel, Casey Affleck, Dakota Johnson
Director: Gabriela Cowperthwaite
Book Selection for the month:
clap when you land by Elizabeth acevedo
In a novel-in-verse that brims with grief and love, National Book Award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Acevedo writes about the devastation of loss, the difficulty of forgiveness, and the bittersweet bonds that shape our lives.
Camino Rios lives for the summers when her father visits her in the Dominican Republic. But this time, on the day when his plane is supposed to land, Camino arrives at the airport to see crowds of crying people…
In New York City, Yahaira Rios is called to the principal’s office, where her mother is waiting to tell her that her father, her hero, has died in a plane crash.
Separated by distance—and Papi’s secrets—the two girls are forced to face a new reality in which their father is dead and their lives are forever altered.
And then, when it seems like they’ve lost everything of their father, they learn of each other.
Danville Book Club
February Book Suggestion:
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurer
Online learning resources with California State Parks
Cookie Shimmy: Wash your face and hands first. Grab an Oreo cookie or a cookie about the same size. Place the cookie on your forehead. The goal is to move the cookie into your mouth without using your hands. Did you get it?
Cup Stack Challenge: If you have 10 plastic cups available, time yourself building a cup pyramid. You can build the tower with 4 cups on the bottom layer, then 3 cups, then 2 cups and 1 cup on top. How fast can you stack them and then bring them back down?
Defying Gravity: Take 3 balloons or scarves and throw them all in the air. Your goal is to keep all 3 items up in the air as long as possible. What was your best time?
- Nose Mover: Find a coffee table or a surface that is about 6-8 inches wide. Start with a line of cotton balls. How long does it take to push all 10 cotton balls across the surface?
- More National park virtual tours
- Learn more about the history of the San Ramon Valley: Museum of the San Ramon Valley