Danville Community Members Honored at Annual Awards Event
To view the video of the event please visit www.danville.ca.gov/mayorsinstallation
Danville’s 40th annual Mayoral Installation and Community Service Awards ceremony was held on December 7, 2021, presided by Mayor Renee Morgan. Newell Arnerich was selected to serve as Mayor for 2022 and Robert Storer will serve as Vice Mayor. The Town Council recognized Commissioners who left office in 2021 and presented service awards to Commissioners who reached milestones for years of service. The Town Council honored the following individuals and organizations for their contributions to the community:
AWARDS OF MERIT
- Meals on Wheels – Diablo Region - For continuing to serve the most vulnerable in our community during the pandemic and beyond, doing well checks, and providing Zoom classes to keep Danville seniors involved.
- Elizabeth Szczesny - For her passion and compassion towards the special needs youth community.
- Lorrie Sammons - For being a stellar volunteer with all of the Veteran Service Organizations in Danville and establishing a branch of the Bay Area Navy Nurse Corps Association to serve the nursing profession, military and community needs, at the Veterans Memorial Building of the San Ramon Valley.
- Marc Silveira and Walt Welti - Each started as Reserve Officers in the 1980s with Contra Costa County and have volunteered in Danville, devoting thousands of hours and decades of service.
- Save Mt. Diablo - For efforts to protect land for public use and recreation.
- Kay Wang - For her tireless and enthusiastic inclusion of the Asian community in our Danville community.
- Karin O’Connell - For rescuing and saving over 450 dogs in the past nine years and rehousing them to loving and caring families.
MICHAEL K. SHIMANSKY COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD
- Ronit Batra - Founder and President of Help SOAR, a student run organization that helped over 150 restaurant workers across 17 states find jobs and open home-based food businesses.
THE DANVILLE AWARD
- Kathy Chiverton - For her extensive volunteer work in the community.