Keeping your home secure while traveling during the Holidays
Traveling is a big part of the holiday season. With a little organization and planning, you can help prevent your family from becoming victims of crime while traveling.
If you are traveling:
- Have a trusted friend or neighbor collect mail, newspapers and packages while you are away.
- Use timers for lights, radios, and televisions so that you maintain an appearance of someone being home.
- Pack your vehicle in a closed garage or while obstructed from street view.
- Plan your route before you leave and leave a copy of your itinerary and emergency contact information with a trusted friend or neighbor.
Criminals know that the hustle and bustle of the holidays can lead to many distractions and simple mistakes can leave your home vulnerable. Remember the following important tips even if you aren’t traveling for the holidays!
- Lock all windows & doors to your home and vehicles
- Keep all valuables out of public view at all times
- Try not to let packages sit unattended on your door step for long periods of time and sign up for delivery notifications.
- Check your mailbox frequently. Also, Locking mailboxes are a great way to prevent mail theft
- Trim trees & bushes around doors, windows and vehicles