TheSouthern Pacific Railroad Depot was built in 1891 after the railroad line was completed from Avon to San Ramon. In order to build the depot, 8.65 acres of land were sold to the Southern Pacific by John Hartz who owned the surrounding land. The coming of the railroad caused John Hartz to survey and sell lots known as the Hartz Addition which were adjacent to the new depot. This changed the Front street commercial orientation of Danville to the Hartz and Railroad areas to the west, due to the movement of passengers and goods along the rail line.
The Depot was built similarly to all of the Southern Pacific Depot buildings of the period, as Standard Station Number 22. It was designed as a two story passenger and freight station which provided room on the ground floor for a waiting room, baggage room, freight room and office which had room for the station agent, ticket agent, telegraphy operator and often a Wells Fargo agent. The upstairs area housed the station agent and his family.
The architecture of the Depot is a typical two-story Southern Pacific company plan. As were all of the depots along this line, it was painted a faded dandelion yellow / gold color and trimmed in brown. The original water tower collapsed many years ago through "demolition by neglect". The building was sold in the mid 20th century to Joseph B. Ramos who operated the Danville Feed and Supply until the 1990's when it was purchased, relocated about 100 yards north of its original location, turned around, and restored to house the Museum of the San Ramon Valley.