Danville 2010 General Plan Update Underway
The process of updating the Town of Danville’s General Plan is currently underway. The General Plan is the document that guides future growth in Town and helps determine the most beneficial approach to shape necessary change. The General Plan was last updated in 1999. The General Plan update will encompass a wide range of topics and is slated to cover a timeframe running through the year 2025.
The update will examine and address changes to the community since the adoption of current General Plan, provide factual updates and identify changes that need to occur due to legislative action. Several policy level issues will also need to be addressed through the update process, including:
- Due to State of California imposed mandates that require Danville to meet its share of “Regional Housing Needs”, the update will need to identify and designate a minimum of eight acres of land with a 25 units per acre minimum density and a minimum of two additional acres with a 20 units per acre minimum density
- Examine the possible expansion of the Town’s Sphere of Influence on Danville’s east side.
- Address new laws/guidelines dealing with greenhouse gas emissions.
- Verify that General Plan is up to date and consistent with programs initiated by the Town pertaining to Emergency Response and Hazard Mitigation.
- Review current Zoning and Subdivision regulations, the Capital Improvement Program, environmental review procedures, and building standards for consistency with the General Plan.
With the Town approaching a built-out condition, it is critical that an active role be taken in directing how the next chapter of Danville’s history unfolds. The General Plan update gives the Town an opportunity to assess where things currently stand and an opportunity to define long-range goals.
A working draft the Update of the General Plan is available for review. This working draft incorporates factual and non policy-level changes into the current General Plan document. A series of study sessions and scoping sessions for the General Plan update and the associated environmental review will be conducted over the course of the next several months. Updating the General Plan triggers the need to prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to meet the intent and requirements of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The update process is envisioned to be a 12 to 15 month process, culminating with noticed public hearings on the EIR and the General Plan update at the start of 2011.
Persons interested in attending meetings on the General Plan should check the calendar section of the Town’s website www.ci.danville.ca.us/calendar for those dates. Residents are also encouraged to sign up on the website for the Town’s E-mail Updates service to receive notification concerning Town events such as the General Plan meetings. The lead staff contact for the General Plan update is Kevin Gailey, Chief of Planning who may be reached at (925) 314-3305 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.